About John Ibbotson
John (Ibbo) Ibbotson arrived in Finley NSW long ago. He attended Albury High School and studied metallurgy at RMIT in Melbourne, but in 1963 converted to computing. In 1969 he moved to New York to design computer systems for American Airlines.
His photography career started in NY and has remained a passion ever since. He headed to Alaska in 1975 for a month but stayed there 17 years photographing this magnificent place.
After moving back to Melbourne in 1992 he decided to photograph "all" of Australia's Lighthouses. His photographs have been the basis of three books, which are the definitive reference guide to Australia's lighthouses. These were followed in 2007 by a sceptical book on "manmade climate change", and he still writes extensively on this subject.
His photos and articles have been used around the world in magazines, books, newspapers, advertising, calendars, the National Archives Beacons by the Sea exhibition, on three sets of Australia's lighthouse stamps and in solo exhibitions.
After retiring to the Clarence Valley John looked for a photography project that was close to home and didn't require too much effort. This resulted in the Sea Sand and Birds, a collection of quirky images and beautiful birds, created from photographs taken at Brooms Head, the best little beach in Australia.
See also the newspaper article by The Grafotn Daily Examiner22 Nov 2016
This website contains:
- Descriptions and ordering information for the various Australian lighthouse books and other products produced by John Ibbotson. [Products]
- Descriptions and ordering information for the climate change book 'Planning Ahead For Future Generations'.
- For wholesale enquiries for 'Planning Ahead' contact John Ibbotson at
- Links to other sites promoting Australian Lighthouses.[Links]
- For wholesale orders of the lighthouse books contact:
Boat Books - 214 St.Kilda Road, St.Kilda 3182. (03) 9525 3444.